Who we are & what we do
- International network service provider
- RETN – a key provider of international data transmission services
- An essential part of European internet infrastructure
- IP Transit and Capacity services provided to international and local ISPs
- Provision of connectivity services (vpns, Internet etc.) to large and medium enterprises from different industries; organisations from financial and governmental sectors
- Network coverage (36 countries, 3 continents, heavy footprint in East Europe and Russia)
- Metro-fibre networks in major East-European and European cities
- High interconnectivity due to direct connections to various data-centres and IXPs
- Significant volumes of international traffic carried over the network
Key facts about RETN
How we operate
RETN – a group of companies, governed by RETN Capital Ltd registered in the UK. Independent privately owned business entity (financially, administratively not affiliated with any other company). Regional offices with local representatives in Europe and Asia:
Similar service quality, pricing policy and technical support in each region where we offer services due to unified development strategy and network technical specifications. RETN team = 150+ passionate people working hard to provide integrated connectivity solutions in various territories.
RETN Executive Committee
A Timeline of RETN…
2003-2006 – Foundation
- Founded by two Russian engineers who owned an ISP in St. Petersburg and intended to build their own international IP network;
- RETN Ltd. Headquarters established in London;
- First PoPs (London, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Moscow); provision of IP transit services over leased capacity;
- RETN becomes member of world’s major Internet Exchange Platforms: AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, MSK-IX, Equinix.
2007-2009 – Crossing borders
- Own DWDM route Moscow-St.Petersburg-Helsinki-Stockholm. RETN – first operator to own trans-border fibre at the Russian border with Finland, and provide a truly international IP Transit service;
- New PoPs in Central and Eastern Europe, North America and Asia;
- Transit DWDM route Moscow-Kiev. RETN – first operator to own trans-border fibre at the Russian border with Ukraine;
- Simultaneously network development in Central and Southern Russia. Significant client base is formed consisting of major Russian providers of the time;
- Completion of European DWDM ring from Moscow to Frankfurt via Scandinavia and back to Moscow via Ukraine;
- RETN becomes synonymous in the European market with delivering high capacity carrier services at competitive price points, disrupting the existing market with fast provisioning and flexible contract terms.
2010-2013 – Getting stronger: redundancy of the core DWDM ring
- New DWDM routes in Ukraine; secondary Moscow-Kiev route via Kamensk-Shakhtinsky and Donetsk;
- DWDM backbone extension to Belarus;
- Completion of a new transit DWDM route from Russia to Western Europe via Ukraine, Poland and Germany;
- Penetration into the northern parts of Russia – Ural and Siberia; services based on leased capacity.
2014 – 2015 – Exploring new destinations
- Network expansion to Baltics states to provide DWDM and IP connectivity to the customers in the region. Launching of Trans-Baltic DWDM route from Northern to Western Europe;
- Construction of DWDM route Saratov – Uralsk (Kazakhstan);
- 100G DWDM ring connecting main cities in Volga region and Ural (from Nizhny Novgorod via Kazan and Yekaterinburg to Saratov);
- Switching over to 100G technology;
- RETN becomes official partner of the leading international IXPs to provide remote peering services worldwide;
- Multiple PoPs are being launched in Western Europe, Russian Far East and Asia.
2016 – Strengthening presence in Europe and Asia
- Expansion into the Balkans adding PoP in Belgrade, Bucharest and Sofia.
- Completion of Kazakhstan ring in partnership with Transtelecom and interconnection with China.
- Launch of the DWDM route Bratislava – Warsaw – Brest.
- Major fibre purchase and multiple new PoPs in DACH region to coincide with the development of the Frankfurt office.